Thursday, May 6, 2010

Get Your Craft On...

Hello Mamas! It's your MOPS Craft Coordinator here... Gretchen. I'm so excited about our craft on Tuesday I wanted to give you a little sneak peak and a little homework! I know, right??? MOPS homework?!? I promise it won't be that bad. Just stick with me. :)

So, for our craft this month we'll be making our own antique wooden signs like this one...

I'm sure you've all seen these before. They say things like Laundry, Antiques, or Coffee. Very cute... very vintage.

Now, on the homework. The first thing that you need to do is decide what you would like to write on your sign. It should probably be something short, just a few words or less. Second, you'll have the option to create a Word document with your chosen phrase. You can pick the font and size just make sure that it will fit on our 6" x 19" boards. Just print it out and bring it to our meeting. If you're overwhelmed at the thought of homework... have no fear. We'll have some ideas for you and extra copies for you to trace. Just please still come. :)

Okay... I'm a visual person so here is a quick tutorial for you. Hopefully this will help get your creative juices flowing.


Supplies: We have everything you need...















Steps:
Once you have your supplies you'll have to decide how you want to make your letters - stencils, freehand or tracing. I've found that I like tracing my letters the best. You have endless possibilities and you can really personalize the fonts and sizes.

Trace ladies... trace! The wood is soft enough that the marks will show through.

After your letters are all traced you can begin painting... steady hands!

After you've carefully painted your letters it's time to mess it all up and give it a nice vintage look. If your arm gets tired you can borrow your husbands sander when you get home.

Finally... the finishing touch.

And voila'! Your personalized art is ready to hang proudly in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment